Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reflections

This spring my mother-in-law suddenly became sick with her final illness and my husband, my two younger children and I rushed to her side.  We drove all night from Massachusetts to Illinois.  Nearing bed time our oldest son called and asked, "Are you driving all night?"  We said, "Yes."  He answered, "Well, be careful."  Soon after that our second oldest son called.  He asked, "Mom, are you guys driving all night?"  I answered, "Yes."  He said, "Please, be careful.

Within an hour Nathan, our second son called back and said, "I've been thinking about it.  If I start driving now, I can probably meet you just past Cleveland and drive the car through the night for you so you don't get too tired and fall asleep at the wheel."  I was so moved by that gallant offer, but I declined.  A couple of hours later, he called again and asked to speak with my husband. He presented the same offer trying to be more persuasive.  Just as I did Pat declined the offer.  Later, Nate called again, just hoping that we would change our minds.

Gabriel, our oldest son, is married with three children. After his initial call he and his wife took turns through the night calling us every two hours, just to chat and make sure we were awake.  He never mentioned their strategy, they just called and talked to us.  After the third call, we figured out what they were doing and were once again grateful for such wonderful children.

It seems to me that those little acts reflect God.  Our Savior has done the gallant thing.  He left His kingdom and came to earth to guide us safely home.  At the same time He quietly works in the background, blessing us daily by providing power to keep us from harm.

I challenge all of us to notice God's reflection in the people and things around us. Flowers speak of His purity.  Mountains command our attention to His majesty.  Simple caring acts by those we love testify of His sacrifice.  "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment