Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Eavesdropping, (Soliloquy part 2)


"Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation." Psalms 5:1

What a prayer!  David is asking God to pry into his private thought life and consider the things he has been thinking about.  I get it that God hears all my thoughts, but it feels like a law of nature.  It's like an outside force over which I have no control. Like gravity, it is always there and I take it for granted.

So to me, what David asks, is shocking.  He wants God to "consider"; to take time, inspect, scrutinize and continually ponder upon his internal chatter.  That is like speeding down the highway and hoping there is a police officer watching.  No one in his right mind would want that.  But David, inspired by the Holy Spirit, begs "Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation.  Hearken unto the voice of  my cry, my King, and my God..." Psalm 5:1, 2  What would happen to my internal soliloquies if every day I asked God to "listen in"?  Certainly the themes would change, but better still I would know that the light of God was always shining into my mind.  Lovingly He would always be listening to the "live stream" generated by my thoughts and He would become my best friend, my constant companion.  I think it would change my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment