Monday, December 10, 2012

Something Old, Something New...

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.  Traditions give substance to things already weighted with meaning.

Nana came from China a few months ago to marry my nephew.  For two years they worked in the same Chinese company and grew to know and love each other.  She wanted a completely 100% American style wedding.  At my nephew's request my sister worked to create the event.  Nana had all the American trappings, the perfect white dress, the graceful veil, and tulle covered architecture. Towards the end of the meal the guests began instructing her on the next order of traditional American wedding business; the cutting of the cake.  She sat there smiling while listening as her new family explained that in feeding Christopher the morsel she should be sure to ply some on his face.

When the moment came they cut the cake and tenderly fed each other, then the people encouraged her, "Go ahead Nana, it's ok, you can put some of the cake on his face."  She looked at the head of the family who had just said that and said, "I can't, I love him."  Harmonic sighs filtered through the room.  She had broken the typical American tradition out of love for Chris.  If she had not done it before, she won everyone's heart right then.  It's no wonder, because it is easy to love those that love your loved ones.

Later, I thought about Nana facing the pressure of American tradition and longing to please her new family. In choosing against the crowd she showed her love for Chris. That reminded me of Jesus, the lover of my soul.  He who went against all traditions and expectations to save me. I pray to have even the small courage that Nana had and reject sin's cajoling; saying, "I can't, I love Him."  I will always remember the lesson Nana taught me: it is in choosing against the crowd that we show our love for Christ.






No comments:

Post a Comment