Friday, September 7, 2012

Side Effects

My husband and son were rough-housing, something they enjoy and I will never understand.  From the other room, I heard laughter then sudden silence.  When I came out to see, Daniel was sitting on the couch holding his thumb.
     "What happened", I asked?
     He said, "I accidentally fell and hurt my thumb."
After a quick assessment I said, "You should go to the emergency room, I think it is broken."

Yes, it was broken. But the healing is progressing nicely and the doctor is optimistic, even though he said this type of fracture does not usually heal without surgery.  We are grateful for the wonderful blessing of modern medicine and God's power.  But...

There are issues with Daniel's treatment. First, there is the lack of mobility. He cannot effectively do his job at work, or tie his shoes etc.  Secondly, he cannot get the cast wet; which demands creative bathing. These inconveniences do not really bother him or us. But there is one problem that is concerning, "cast odor".  Of course, the odor is normal.  Under the cast, skin is still sloughing and sweat is still accumulating, which causes the smell.  Even though it is not a powerful aroma, it is sometimes noticeable on a passing waft of air.  Why is it that healing always has side effects?  Whether its pain, swelling or a musty smell, getting better has it's down side.

In the spiritual realm, getting better also has it's down side. The braces that help us walk on the straight and narrow seem confining. We have to learn to be creative in how we think and speak.  And strong self discipline is needed to deny the cravings of our perverted hearts. But the worst most discouraging side effect of this healing process is that when Jesus exposes the rottenness of our souls, the stench can be nauseating.  And in sadness I have to say, that in my rehab the fetid scent not only affects me, it also permeates the atmosphere around me.  It clings to those I love and even those I don't love. With Paul I cry "O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this (stinking) death?"

But unlike Daniel's orthopedic surgeon, my physician has a solution for the smells of healing and I believe in His cleansing promise: Hosea 14:4-7

"I will heal their backsliding,
     I will love them freely...
I will be as the dew unto Israel:
    He shall grow as the lily, and cast forth his roots as Lebanon.
His branches shall spread and his beauty shall be as the olive tree,
    And his smell as Lebanon.
They that dwell under his shadow shall return;
   They shall revive as the corn, and grow as the vine:
The scent thereof shall be as the wine of Lebanon."
                                                   











No comments:

Post a Comment