Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Little Lost Card

We moved nine months ago, but our house has not been ready until now.  The furniture trailer arrived yesterday.  It sits in the driveway waiting to be unloaded.  The men worked all day and did some last night, but I thought I would help by getting the light things out myself.  So I emptied some boxes out of the front of the trailer.  I was sliding a heavy box down the ramp and lost my grip.  It slid down on its side, hit the ground on a corner and bounced into an upright position.  Wow! that mistake turned out well.

I finished getting the lighter things out of the front.  But large items like the washer and dryer prevented me from getting the small boxes in the back of the trailer.  Then I thought, "If I open the side door and prop a ladder against the opening,  I can use the ladder as a slider like the ramp was. It was a success for two whole boxes.  Then the third one full of our Christmas Blessings slid down too quickly and burst open when it hit bottom.  (Christmas Blessings are decorated cards on which we write the years blessings and then hang them on the tree)

Our Christmas Blessings were swept by the wind and hurtled down the driveway.  I chased one, then another.  But I quickly realized that if I kept chasing the lost card I would eventually loose them all.  I changed tactics.  I went to the upturned box set it straight, gathered the cards, put them in and closed the lid.  Then I went off to chase after the wayward few.  

As I triumphantly walked back with my recovered cards I realized I am the opposite of Jesus.  He said, "What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?"  (Luke 14:4)  Jesus, like the shepherd in the parable, leaves his entire flock to find that one lost lamb.  It seems to me the 99 would be in danger without the shepherd, they might be stolen or just driven by the wind.  But the shepherd cannot bear the thought of that lonely little lamb without hope.  He risks all he owns to retrieve it.

Jesus risked everything He owned and everything He was to rescue this little lost planet.  That would mean the other universes could have been in jeopardy had He failed to return.  Why would He love us so much that he would be willing to do that?  Why would He loose everything just to find me?  

The Furniture Trailer


The Ingenious Idea



Rejoice with me; for I have found (that) which was lost." Luke 15:6



No comments:

Post a Comment